Friday, June 8, 2012

Why is running good for you




A friend of mine wants to lose weight. Everyone else thinks she doesn't! We tell her she's sexy being slightly curvy... She's joining me when I run now! I told her that if we run we'll have a firm butt and we'll be able to eat more! What else can you ask for?
We get so excited that we have to keep ourselves from NOT following the schedule and not running more than we're supposed to! We check out the hot guys in the park, the other girls running.

At the last Greek elections there was a big rise of the neo-nazi party. They managed to enter the parliament with 7%. This criminal group has been stabbing, hitting, attempting to murder immigrants and leftists for many years. Now, for the first time their elected representative threw a glass of water on a female opponent and hit another one on a live TV show. I don't know why people are shocked more by some water than the fact that this guy has a pending trial for assault and robbery. The "surprising" factor is that for the first time they did it on national live TV.
A male friend of mine wrote an article about it saying that the attack was "ανανδρη" (literally, it means "not manly", metaphorically, it means "cowardly". I pointed out the sexism of his title, the fact that being noble and fair is a "manly" quality. He said that too much political-correctness is castrating the language. He pointed out the irony in his remark. Well played, my friend, well played...

The incident has been reproduced many times but here's a link with English subs


The fact is, that more and more people feel threatened by them, and the neo-nazis feel that they have total immunity. Lately they "warned" the gay community by throwing flyers at a gay-friendly area of Athens saying "after the immigrants, you're next" .
This Saturday there's the Gay Pride Athens parade. My lesbian friend says that apart from her being critic against it, she's too scared to go because of the threats. I also think the Pride Parade is lacking a political target, it's a harmless parade, but on the other hand, I'm sick of these neo-nazi bastards intimidating people.

This week I'm doing my long >40min walk at the Parade.
And if things get tough, I can always run!

2 comments:

Andre said...

Hey! As your post have two parts, so does this comment.
First, I think you and your friend will like to read this: http://www.bellon.com.br/diariodebordo/?p=157
Fernanda Young is a great brazilian writer, and in this text she says why she runs, and in the end she concludes "I run because I hate diets. I run because I love eating pizza at night" :)

Second, It is weird we give freedom for those who want to take out freedom... But if we don't do it, are we becoming like them? Today is the Sao Paulo Gay parade... Last year two guys were stabbed by intolerants. And here, besides neo-nazis (they're not many), the religious extremist are the main concern and sponsors of violence against gay people... I hope all goes well in the parade this year.
How was the long run yesterday?

Mariposada said...

I really liked the blog you sent me :)
Although it's a little "intimidating" to read blogs by veterans, who've already finished a "few" marathons!

About the neo-nazis, they are criminals. Stabbing people is not a "point of view", it's a crime, and if a group is not only organized on the basis of hating other people but also stabbing them, well, it's not a matter of "freedom" anymore. It's a matter of justice.

In the end, nothing really happened at the Athens parade, I don't think they even showed up, but the parade was smaller than last year. So, yes, throwing flyers of hatred can intimidate people as much as their physical presence, and this is why I think people should have gone in the first place.