Monday, June 25, 2012

How to date a schizoid personality type.

Are you into the shy guy who won't talk to you? the boy/girl with the dreamy eyes? the artistic type or the guy who just smokes alone in a corner looking cool? your school's lab geek?

Do you think that someone's interested in he/she seems so elusive and you don't know why?

Before you start harassing people, you may consider that he/she may just not be that into you!
(or he/she 's smoking too much weed)

Analysts are usually classifying people according to their personality type; almost like your sign!

A schizoid personality type is solitary type that tends to escape in the world of imagination in order to avoid getting hurt.

We look snobbish but we're shy.
We might want to talk to you, but we don't know how. I had trouble giving my condolences to a friend when his father passed away; I never said anything, it was like it never happened. In fact, I was very shocked and sad to hear it. A schizoid personality will sympathize with you and might have a great sensitivity on detecting the fluctuations of your own emotions. They have a hard time showing theirs.

We may have a poker face while we' re dying inside.
Either we don't know how to react or we don't want to show any emotion. I've kept a poker face when people have broken up with me, when my mother's doctor announced that my mother was dying, when my supervisor at work was telling me that my numbers suck. The latter was considered as "lack of enthusiasm"...

Rationalization
Someone broke up with me: " I understand that he got tired of my being depressed for such a long time, it's normal, what can you do?", instead of:" mother fucker he found a girlfriend right away!"
Rationalization is schizoid's favorite defense mechanism.


Our privacy is vital
Schizoids have a huge personal space, they love their privacy and there are some boundaries that if anyone tries to cross they'll feel like they' re suffocating. They will enjoy a trip , going to watch a movie or just reading a book with a nice cup of coffee in the afternoon all by themselves.
Please, never sneak into our stuff, never come into our room without knocking.

Come close- stay away
Confused, eh? We're even more confused than you!
We' re really really scared of letting people very close to us. We avoid to get emotionally attached to people because we're scared they might go, or that when they're in there they will destroy a piece of us.
On the other hand, most of us seek a deep relationship with a partner.

Unwillingness to fit the norms

Do you have trouble following schedules not because you're lazy, or bored, but because it feels so against nature?
Have you taken the train to work and fantasized that when we go out of it we're all sheep about to be slaughtered and that's our life for the next 30 years and that thought is unbearable?
Do you hate it when at work/school everyone has to take a break at the same time?

Famous schizoid personalities: because it makes us feel better about ourselves:
Isaac Asimov, Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Bill Gates, Stephen Hawking, Alfred Hitchcock,  Karl Marx,  Isaac Newton, Ezra Pound, Frantz Kafka.
In my opinion, Van Gogh was also a schizoid. If you see the "starry night" and you can almost see the swirling of the night, you know what I'm talking about. If you're actually seeing it, you're hallucinating, and usually, that's not a good thing...


****update***
A comment from a reader: "you don't actually tell us HOW to date a schizoid!"
Well, it's all about giving them space, and have enough patience and stability to persuade them that you're not going to invade their inner world if they open up to you. They might want to spend the night alone.

I am terrified when I start dating someone and we have sex and then we HAVE to sleep together the first night. It's impossible for me to sleep. I might me very interested in the other person, but it's just beyond me. I've told guys that they have to go home after sex explaining that it will be impossible for me to sleep. From all the movies, I understand that it's a really rude thing to do, but I'm honest and if it's meant to be a "one night stand" it will be one whether you go home and have a descent night's sleep or you spend an awkward night with someone in your bed... In my opinion, if we're into each other we'll see each other again, even if we don't spend the night together.

Oh, and most important: talk to them first! give them your phone number so that they're sure you're into them and if they're interested they'll call you back :)







17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot Hitler...

Annielika said...

Really?

Mariposada said...

aaaaw, pooraki Hitler, so lonely... :P

Anonymous said...

When he was raising his arm he just wanted a high five, or a hug!

brycly said...

I consider myself to be a schizoid. Not an extreme one but still. I am self diagnosed though, never been to a psychiatrist. Most (all?) Schizoids don't see hallucinations. You are thinking about Schizophrenia and Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

Mariposada said...

Brycly, what I meant by the Van Gogh reference is that a schizoid would get the swirl image by watching the stars at night. A schizoid would, therefore, "get" the painting. If you actually see the stars moving, then, well, you're hallucinating.

me said...

Geobels was a schizoid..

Anonymous said...

Schizoids are not shy.

Bagol said...

They appear shy though.

Anonymous said...

You are not describing a schizoid, the big thing about being a schizoid is no emotion, no shyness, no guilt, no empathy. Limited emotions,and the ones you have are dull. Whatever you have is something else, you are not a schizoid.

Unknown said...

The last paragraph is not true.

Unknown said...

I would argue that not all schizoids are exactly the same (just like any other kind of people), we don't all experience these difficulties in the same way, and not everyone diagnosed with SPD experiences ALL of the signs and symptoms considered to be a part of the disorder (according to my psychiatrist you must meet four out of the seven listed criteria). Although it sounds like you might be confusing it with something else? I was diagnosed with SPD and definitely don't match your description.

Theschizoaffect said...

Being someone with a schizoid disorder not all of this was true.

nal said...

couldn't be more wrong I don't think you understand spd at all.

Beep beep motherucker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beep beep motherucker said...

That's blunted affect, not absentee. Wondering now if these bloggers realize that if it begins with "schizo", it's related to every other disorder that does that. They're all related, schizoid/schizotypal/schizophrenic etc. The symptoms overlap, and even if they didn't- "blunted affect" =/= no empathy, which is a symptom of sociopathy.

Anonymous said...

sounds like this person thinks schizoid is same as schizophrenic. I do not know schizoid with any visual hallucinations.